Perforce integration in Dev Studio sucks

I just wanted to say that. Because it does. I have never had a decent Dev Studio set up where perforce integrated nicely and did what I wanted it to do. I mean, all that I want to do is check out a file. That's it. I don't need any reporting in Dev Studio. The perforce client does that for me, and quite nicely too. And getting revision history? I use the perforce client for that as well. So, I wrote a little macro that checks out files for me.
Imports System
Imports EnvDTE
Imports EnvDTE80
Imports System.Diagnostics

Public Module Perforce
    Public Sub p4CheckoutCurrentFile()
        Dim Command = "p4 edit " + DTE.ActiveDocument.FullName

        Shell(Command, AppWinStyle.NormalFocus)
    End Sub
End Module
That's all that there is to it. You can set up Dev Studio to not allow you to edit read-only files, and you're golden. I bind this macro to Ctrl+Alt+P. When I'm ready to check stuff in, I switch over to the Perforce Client, review my changes and bam, fire it off. I did actually download the P4 sdk, so at some point in time, I may make this an actual plugin.

Comments

Popular Posts